Friday, January 7, 2011

San Francisco 49ers' head coach Jim Harbaugh's press conference notes and quotes

Here are some notes and quotes from the San Francisco 49ers' press conference with new head coach Jim Harbaugh and new GM Trent Balke. The press conference was held this afternoon at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco.


Jim Harbaugh:  Stated that the chance to compete at the highest level was overwhelming. Mentioned that he had a lot of signature years at Stanford and that he got married and had two kids while coaching at Stanford.


There are coaches on the Stanford staff that he would like to bring to the 49ers but he is looking forward to talking to the coaches that are already on the 49ers' staff already. He wants to hear their vision and plan.


Balke said he will have the final say on free agents and the 53-man roster but that "it's going to be a cooperative effort on all of us."


"Together the 49ers organization and I will put together a great staff."


His first job is to talk to the current players. He wants to talk to them and he hopes to see some of them soon.


Habaugh said "Losing is not an option" twice.


"All obstacles can and must be overcome."


"I hope to be underestimated. I feel that is a competitive advantage."


"There is a learning curve in every job. There's a learning curve from six months to one year. I feel I have talented people around us in the organization."


On Bill Walsh -  "He is the most important person. I had a chance to meet him when I was at Stanford and when I was a quarterback in the league. I have a picture of him that I look at every day.


On facing his brother next season when the 49ers face the Ravens -  "It'll be great."  Harbaugh said that his brother thinks the NFL will make it the Thursday night kickoff game next season.


On all the many colleges and pro teams wanting him - "I'm very humble and feel fortunate that teams were interested."


When asked about the team moving to Santa clara in the future but having the press conference in San Francisco - "I don't know what you're talking about."


"The quarterback touches the ball on every play. It's the most important position on the football team."


"Qualities  and characteristics that I look for in a quarterback are athletic instincts, accuracy, timing, leadership, and intelligence."


"We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco. "I'm excited about that."


"I have  been in touch with Andrew Luck  and some of the other players  through text. I want them to know that I am right down the road.


I told Andrew Luck from the beginning of the season to do what is best for him and his family. I respect his decision very much and I wish him great success which I know he will have. I love him."


Harbaugh avoided the question of  how badly does he want to beat Pete Carroll twice a year.

No comments: