Sunday, February 24, 2008
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
- Biggest upset tonight was Miami beating Duke at home. Duke has now lost two in a row. They seem to have a problem with dribble penetration by guards. If Duke's 3 pointers don't go in, they get in trouble.
- UNC Charlotte lost another heartbreaker as they lost to Richmond in overtime after leading most of the game. Tough loss.
- Memphis cruises to another big blowout win. Can't wait to see them face Tennessee on Saturday.
- Big wins for Wisconsin and Villanova. Vilanova destroyed West Virginia at home and Wisconsin beat Illinois on the road convincingly.
- Great win by Virginia Tech on the road 69-65 over Maryland.
- Nebraska upset Kansas State 71-64 at home.
- Big win for Old Dominion on the road 72-52 over James Madison. This team is really coming together.
- UCF beat East Carolina 110-75. They scored more points than most NBA teams in one night.
- Who needs Jason Kidd? Nets beat Bulls in overtime.
- Kidd could not contain Chris Paul and Hornets beat the Mavs.
- The Pistons did not show up again and the Bucks upset them 103-98.
- LeBron James had a triple double with 31 points, 14 rebounds, and 12 assists. Cavs win 106-97 over the Pacers.
- Toronto beat the Magic 127-110. Dwight Howard had 37 points but Chris Bosh had 40.
- The 76ers destroyed the Knicks by 40! 124-84
- The Lakers vs Suns game was one of the most entertaining games on TV this year. Such a shame we have to watch the Heat again on TNT tomorrow.
- Baron Davis hit the game winning J to beat the Celtics 119-117. What a great game!
- DePaul played well but Connecticut avoided the upset and won 65-60 at home.
- Stephen Curry had 30 as Davidson defeated UNC Greensboro. Curry might be the best player you never heard of or seen. He is the son of Del Curry, former NBA player.
- Bradley upset Drake 72-71 on the road. Drake is not deserving of being ranked #14 in the country. The MVC is down this year.
- Northwestern lost again in the Big 10 and are now 0-13 in conference games. They were up double digits in the second half but lost to Iowa 53-51.
- Nice win by Kentucky over Georgia at home 61-55.
- San Diego State bounced back after three consecutive losses and defeated Wyoming on the road.
- Don't look now but the Rockets are on fire. They will make the playoffs and get a high seed if they keep playing well.
- The Pistons lost at home to the Magic by 18. They thought they were still on All Star Break.
- The Warriors lost 119-109 to the Jazz but this game was never close.
- Impressive win by the Nuggets over Boston.
- Portland won't make the playoffs and is slipping.
- Lakers vs Suns tonight should be very entertaining. They killed the Hawks 122-93 Tuesday night at home.
Monday, February 18, 2008
D Wizzle is back with another interview and this time it is with former Tennessee tight end, Brad Cottam. Cottam was hurt for most of his senior season, but played a key role in helping the Volunteers defeat Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl.
I talked to Cottam last week as he was getting ready for the NFL Combine. Teams needing a solid TE should definitely look at this guy as he has the size and the skills needed to succeed in the NFL.
How is training going for the Combine next week? Are you ready?
Training has been going great up until this point and I only have two more really hard workouts before we ease off for the Combine, but I think I'm definitely ready and I'd be ready to go today if I could.
You missed the first nine games of the season with a wrist injury. How is the wrist now and are you injury free?
The wrist is doing fine, and its at 100%. I'm able to to do all the lifts in the weight room and it's not holding me back at all. Right now, I feel as healthy as I can be and there are no other injuries going on with me right now.
What was the best moment of the season for you?
It was definitely scoring the last TD of the season against Wisconsin... coming back from my injury that almost forced me to miss the whole season and being able to finish on a positive note like that was amazing.
I had a feeling you would say that. That was a great TD and a great win. What will you miss most about playing at UT?
That's a loaded question because there are so many things from the crazy fans, to the Vol Walk, and all the great tradition, but I'll really just miss being with the team through the ups and downs and sticking together. I've made so many friendships in my time at Tennessee that will last for the rest of my life. I'll also miss playing with my brother Jeff. Not many people can say that you and your brother both started for a major college football program in the same year at the same position.
Did you play any sports besides football? Being 6'8, did you play any basketball?
I played basketball throughout my youth and I thought that's what I would always do until I played football in high school and found that I enjoyed playing it so much more than basketball. I did play a little intramural ball at UT... our team, Bayside Tigers, won the championship last year.
How was the Senior Bowl experience?
The Senior bowl was great for me particularly because I had only played in five games my senior season. I enjoyed the process, but they kept us pretty busy all day for the whole week.
Did you enjoy being coached by the 49ers staff during the Senior Bowl week?
They were great. I learned so much from them and was able to get the basics of at least one NFL offense. It will definitely be a big adjustment for me, but I think once I make it, everything will go well.
- Biggest upset this weekend was Wake Forest 86-73 over Duke on Sunday night. Jeff Teague is a very solid guard for Wake Forest.
- UCLA and USC both played great defense last night. UCLA got their revenge and defeated USC 56-46. O.J. Mayo was ineffective and had 10 turnovers. Russell Westbrook played excellent D on him.
- Big wins for Miami, Michigan, and Virginia on Sunday.
- Kentucky got a big win on the road against LSU. Good bounce back win after losing by 40 to Vandy in the previous game.
- Purdue should be ranked higher than #19.
- Great win by Cal over ASU.
- Old Dominion upset VCU on the road 67-66.
- Pepperdine upset Santa Clara at home with Kenny G in attendence.
- D-Wade did not belong in the All Star Game. He led the Heat to a 9-42 record and his play has slipped. He has struggled without Shaq.
- Dwight Howard got the charisma and attitude to be a superstar.
- Baron Davis deserved to be in the All Star Game. Don Nelson is probably thankful he didn't make it and got to rest his body instead.
- Does anyone remember any of Rudy Gay's dunks on Saturday night?
- The trade for Mike Bibby will be beneficial to the Hawks. They might make the playoffs now with Bibby at PG.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Thursday, February 14, 2008
- Jon Miller was the host of the event.
- New first base coach Roberto Kelly, new batting coach Carney Lansford, infielders Kevin Frandsen and Dan Ortmeier, and outfielder Aaron Rowand were present.
- Frandsen talked to Robby Thompson in the offseason about the finer points of playing second base.
- Frandsen said he was a pitcher growing up.
- He batted .370 in September thanks to increased starts and playing time. Never got used to being a utility player since he was a starter all his life.
- Rowand and Frandsen act like they are best buddies already. There doesn't seem to be any chemistry problems.
- Frandsen likes playing third base and has played it all his life. He said you don't have to think playing that position.
- Frandsen and Ortmeier love playing ping pong with each other.
- Rowand shattered his nose, nasal cavity, cheekbone, and orbital bone... Needed two surgeries after his crash in the outfield at Citizens Bank Park two years ago.
- Doesn't matter what spot in the lineup he is hitting... it does not dictate what he will try to do... the situation dictates what he will try to do at the plate.
- A cute boy asked Rowand how many homers he will hit. The boy gave hi-fives to Frandsen and Rowand and the audience sang "Happy Birthday" to the kid (video is on this site).
- Frandsen said it will be fun this season.
- Wants to "play as dirty as possible."
- Rowand's goal is to have fun this year.
- Says it doesn't matter how much money you make or if you are a rookie, everyone will be equal.
- They all signed autographs and took pictures with fans after the event.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
- Connecticut defeated Notre Dame 84-78. A.J. Price had 26 points and 9 assists. Price is one of the best guards in the country. I love watching him play.
- Northeastern defeated Hofstra on the road 62-53. Northeastern is playing GREAT defense!
- South Florida upset Syracuse 89-78.
- Davidson was down by 15 at halftime but came back to beat UNC Greensboro 83-78.
- Biggest upset of the night was LSU defeating Florida on the road 85-73.
- Great win on the road by New Mexico as they defeated San Diego State 73-63.
- Texas Tech pulled a upset by defeating Kansas State 84-75. Pat Knight got his first victory as coach.
- Charlotte might not have a lot of players but they do play hard and compete most nights.
- Atlanta needs to fire Mike Woodson. They won't go anywhere with him.
- Nice win for the Magic at home against the tired Nuggets who played overtime last night in Miami. Dwight Howard had 24 points and 23 boards.
- Manu Ginobili had 46 points to help the Spurs beat the Cavs 112-105.
- I like this Philly team. The Sixers beat Memphis 102-88 at home. They play hard every night and have talent.
- Leon Powe and the Celtics win again. Powe had 18 for Boston as they beat the Knicks at home.
- Houston is making a push for the last playoff spot.
- The Lakers are the best team in the Western Conference.
- The Warriors and the Suns played a great game in Oakland. Warriors won 120-118. Why won't ESPN and TNT and ABC put the Warriors on more often? Who wants to see the Heat and Pistons every week?
- Jeff Van Gundy of ESPN made a funny comment after Austin Croshure made a nice block on Grant Hill. Van Gundy said that Croshure should start talking smack because it might be the last time he does that in his career.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
- Robbie Hummel is really good. The freshman had 24 points as Purdue upset Michigan State 60-54.
- Pittsburgh and Marquette were both very impressive tonight.
- Biggest upset was Northern Illinois over Akron.
- North Carolina barely defeated Virginia 75-74. They were still tired coming off a big emotional victory on Sunday in double-overtime against Clemson.
- Illinois destroyed Minnesota 84-60. Big win for them on the road.
- Vanderbilt destroyed Kentucky 93-52. Tonight was a night of blowouts.
- The Celtics win again without KG as they defeat the Pacers 104-97. Leon Powe is the real deal.
- The Nets won their third in a row as they defeated Minnesota tonight 92-88. Krstic is back for the Nets.
- Great game tonight between Denver and Miami. Denver wins in OT 114-113. Wade and Marion had big games while J.R. Smith had 28 for the Nuggets.
- Memphis won big over the Kings at home. Is Mike Miller going to be traded soon? Any team would benefit with this sharpshooter on the team.
- The Bulls hung around for three quarters but the Hornets pull away in the fourth quarter and win 100-86. Chris Paul is the Truth.
Jackson hit a 3-pointer after missing a free throw to give the Warriors the lead 115-113. They never trailed after that.
Fans of the Wizards have grown accustomed to their team giving up big fourth quarter leads. Last week, it was to the Sixers as they were on the wrong end of a 15-0 run. The Wizards last night jumped to a 72-55 lead at halftime.
Mason had 21 points at the half. Mason and DeShawn Stevenson were hitting 3-pointers with regularity in the first half. You knew they would eventually get cold and a Warriors rally would start in the second half. It was bound to happen and it did.
The Wizards led 95-84 at the end of the third quarter.
Chris Webber was once again a non-factor with only two points in 13 minutes of action.
Baron Davis had an uneventful 19 points and seven assists.
The Wizards were without Gilbert Arenas, Antoine Daniels, and Caron Butler.
The Warriors play the Suns on Wednesday evening. It is not certain if Shaq will make his Suns debut against the Warriors.
You won't see this in the local papers or anywhere but here at D Wizzle's World!
Monday, February 11, 2008
D Wizzle is back with another exclusive interview. This time it is with former Furman fullback and NFL draft prospect, Jerome Felton. Felton was one of the best rushers in the Southern Conference the last four years and left as the leading scorer in school history with 414 points. He also had 63 touchdowns in his career. Felton's stock in the draft is rising as he impressed scouts at the East-West Shrine Game in Houston a few weeks ago. He was invited to the NFL Combine which will be held later this month in Indianapolis.
How's it going Jerome? How is everything with you?
I'm doing good... just out here in LA getting ready for the Combine. It's an exciting time in my life so I'm just trying to enjoy it.
Where are you training at currently and who are you training with?
I'm training in LA with Travelle Gaines (trainer at 360 Sports Performance). I'm training with Heath Benedict, Jameel Mcclain, Ezra Butler, Chevis Jackson, and several others.
How many hours a day do you train? Can you tell me what kind of training you are doing in preparing for the combine?
We train two sessions for about an hour and a half. We also do a pool workout, yoga, and hip flexibility work. Our workouts are based around increasing speed and explosion.
Did you enjoy the whole Shrine experience and did you get a chance to visit with the kids in the hospital?
Yea, I had a real good time down at the Shrine game. It was fun being around all the guys, working hard, and trying to get to our ultimate goal which is playing in the NFL. The best part of the week was seeing the kids and getting to hang out with them at the Shriners Hospital. It was amazing seeing them and the smiles they had when they saw us. It's something I'll never forget, because we had so much of a positive impact on them, and them on us.
What do you think you will miss most about playing at Furman?
I'll miss playing with my boys down there like Ced Gipson, David Menocal, Joe Watson, and others.
You have a lot of skills that any NFL would want in a back because you can block, catch passes, and run the ball effectively. Which part of your game do you think you need to work on?
I feel that my game translates to the next level, but I just want to continue to work on technique with my blocking, and footwork running the ball. You can always get better so I'm going to work hard and continue to improve my game.
A lot of guys from small schools have chips on their shoulders and feel that need to prove they belong when they enter the NFL. Do you feel this way too?
I definitely play with a chip on my shoulder. Ifeel like I have something to prove everytime I step out on the field. Coming from a smaller school, you're always gonna have people saying that someone is better than you or you don't face the same competition, which is true so it drives me. I know that there are a lot of players in my division that could play anywhere and I feel the same way.
How do you like California so far and do you think you can adjust to living here if you get drafted by the 49ers, Raiders, or Chargers?
I love it up here, and I would be happy if I get drafted by any of those teams.
What is sweeter? Running into the end zone for a TD or making a nice lead block to help the running back get a big gain?
That's a hard question. I like them both the same but just in different ways.
Do you pattern your play after any other player?
I am a big Jerome Bettis fan so I tried to pick up my running style a little from him.
Rookies often play on special teams. What do you think about playing on special teams?
If you want to play in the NFL you have to be a player that can be versatile and contribute on special teams, and I know that is something that I will have to do so I look forward to making an impact on special teams.
We both like the music of Young Jeezy. What is your favorite Jeezy song and why?
Let's Get It/Sky's The Limit...."If you can think it, you can do it."
One of your favorite TV shows is 24 which is a very popular show with athletes. Which character on that show are you most like and why?
I don't think I am like any of the characters but I'm a big Jack Bauer fan.
Thanks to Jerome Felton for the interview. Watch out for him in the NFL Draft as he will be a big asset to the team that drafts him.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Baron Davis struggled once again and was only 4-19 shooting. The heroes for the Warriors were Ellis, Stephen Jackson, and Matt Barnes. Barnes helped with his energy in the fourth quarter while Ellis and Jackson made key shots all night. Davis got his fifth foul at the 6:27 mark of the third quarter, but Don Nelson kept him in until he fouled out with about two minutes left in the game.
The Kings were trailing most of the game until they got the lead late in the third quarter. They probably would have won the game if Kevin Martin didn't shoot so poorly. He was only 3-16 from the field.
This was a must-win for the Warriors after losing to the Bulls on Thursday night. The homestand continues against the Wizards on Monday night. The Wizards could be without Caron Butler again and this could be a good chance for the Warriors to blow out an opponent.
Friday, February 8, 2008
Rap Legend Nas!
C-Webb returns to the Yay!
The Warriors fell to the Bulls last night 114-108 at Oracle Arena. Chris Duhon had a career-high 34 points to lead the Bulls to the upset victory. Monta Ellis led the Warriors with 25 points.
The Warriors got off to a bad start and trailed 32-23 after the first quarter. Chris Webber made his debut this season and played 12 minutes. He had four points and one rebound. To no one's suprise, Webber looked out of shape and had trouble running the floor.
Joe Smith and Tyrus Thomas had their way with the Warriors for much of the night. If the Warriors can't handle Smith and Thomas in the frontcourt, what will happen when they face Shaq and Amare Stoudemire next week?
Don Nelson should have put in Al Harrington during crunch time in the fourth quarter but he sat him on the bench instead. The Warriors needed scoring and that is what Harrington can provide. Harrington ended the night with 20 points in only 26 minutes. Nelson's reason for not playing Harrington was because he was upset with his defense and rebounding.
Why did the Warriors lose to a Bulls team playing without Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, and Kirk Hinrich? Those three players were all injured and sat on the bench laughing and smiling the whole evening. The Warriors had five days off before the game and that is the reason why they were flat the whole night. Another reason was because they let their guard down after finding out that three of Chicago's best players were out.
If the Warriors don't make it into the playoffs, they can look at this game and the loss to Minnesota on MLK Day at home as some of the reasons they didn't make it.
The Warriors play their next game at home against Sacramento while the Bulls finish off their long road trip at Utah on Saturday night.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
D Wizzle is back with another HOW and this time it is Dana Sagum from Hawaii. Dana is a 22-year-old model and dancer. You may have seen this stunning brown-haired beauty at a nightclub, in magazines, or at car shows such as Hot Import Nights and Streetcar Showoff. Check out what she has to say as she talks about what kind of guys she likes, her favorite MMA fighter, and why she misses Pride along with other topics.
I was and raised on the beautiful Garden Island of Kauai.
I'm a total sucker for bad boys and a magnet for trouble. I love adrenaline, and the biggest rush comes those 30 seconds right before getting busted for something. I like guys who can keep me on my toes in that sense. I also absolutely love fighters!
Pride was so much more exciting. Pride had ropes instead of the cage, and in UFC when someone gets pushed into the cage, it seems to get boring.
The rules are so much more hardcore in Pride, and the fights are longer. I think the Pride fighters had to be that much better for those reasons, and in turn the fights end up being much more brutal.
My boobs definitely get the most attention, but my favorite body part is probably my smile. Ok so that's not a body part, but whatever. A nice smile goes a long way!
The best thing about Hawaii is definitely the people. Gotta love that Aloha Spirit!
I don't have a favorite kind of music. I enjoy all music depending on my mood. My favorite songs are "Shadowboxer" by Fiona Apple, "Now Drop" by Timberland, and "Summer Wind Was Always Our Song" by the Ataris and they are all very different.
What people probably don't know about me is that I am huge nerd! I watch the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, and National Geographic regularly. I love school and I always sit in the front row in the center in every class. I am masterful at Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and all those other trivia gameshows, and I'm pretty much ready to bow down to anyone who knows more about Greek mythology than I do.
The stereotype that all Hawaiians are lazy is so not true! People also think that Hawaiians are all fat is sometimes true, but only because we have such good food!
I like watching the UH football team and also the women's vollyeball team. I don't have a favorite player but I have extra love for all the Kamehameha Alumni taking it to the next level at UH.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Sunday, February 3, 2008
"New York Giants"
New York Giants, new york giants, we did it, new york giants
NY Giants, we run New York (we did it)
Super Bowl Champs, we run New York (we did it)
NY Giants, we run New York (we did it)
We the New York Giants
Comin through when it's do or die
Teams talkin trash but winning is our reply
U know we "Unstoppable" like Eli
Plaxico's so tall, corners can't see eye to eye
Struggled a lot but we never quit
Haters talkin all that bullshit
Said we couldn't win but we did it
Sorry Romo, Sorry Brett, Sorry T.O.
But we won the Super Bowl!
Time to pop that cork
We run New York!
We the New York Giants
U can't stop Bradshaw or Brandon
We gettin sacks with Osi and Strahan
Puttin so much pressure on Brady
Gettin clutch catches from David Tyree
The Cowboys QB went to Mexico
While our QB throws TDs to Plaxico
No one gave us a chance
But all we did is win and advance
Everyone knows how tough we play
Just ask tampa, dallas, and green bay
Haters said we can't win without Tiki
And that we dead when we lost Shockey
But our team makin winning look easy
Critics said that our QB sucked
and that we would run out of luck
But u haters gettin bulldozed like a linebacker after a block from Hedgecock
QBs goin down from a sack by Justin Tuck
Cuz no one open thanks to Madison, Webster and Ross
Play against us, get ready for a loss
Don't believe it then just ask Randy Moss
We tight to the end like Kevin Boss
After every sack, u know Strahan be balllllllin
Much love to the whole team and Coach Coughlin
We the we the New York Giants
Road Warriors, makin the home crowd go silent
cuz we the we the New York Giants
U can be home, we'll be the guests
Road warriors, we the best
We run New York like Hova
Took down the Pats in Arizona
We the New York Giants
- They are the hotter team coming in and playing better.
- The Giants D-Line will control the line of scrimmage.
- Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs will control the clock and have many big gains against the Patriots defense.
- The Patriots defense is overrated.
- Eli Manning got plenty of tips from his brother on how to prepare against the Pats D.
- When they last played, the Giants did not have a confident Steve Smith.
- I trust Lawrence Tynes a lot more than I do Stephen Gratkowski.